Thursday 17 November 2016

How Things Fell Apart



It was that time again… Our annual surfing trip to Devon. While my parents packed up the suitcases and loaded up the car for the long  journey ahead, we chatted excitedly about what an incredible holiday this was going to be! Not too long into the journey, the beautiful sky cleared and it was replaced with a sky so dark and ominous. All of a sudden, crashing towards the long line of traffic, was a colossal wave – not the kind you’d want to catch on a board either…
Desperately, people raced wildly out of their cars, running, screaming and panicking yet as I looked to my left, I saw a man standing still as the wave came towards him.  He had the craziest look in his eyes. He had dark black hair.  He suddenly fell.  He lay on the road with a big gash on his neck. Which I had not noticed before. The wave came closer and closer to him I could not bear to watch.
Mum quickly spined the car around and went into full power speeding away from the wave. We were going so fast we crashed into another car. We could not move. Mum weeped, dad did too. I just sat while sad thoughts filled my mind. The wave came closer and closer to the car, I realized this could be the end.
Crash it hit us. I feel like I slipped into a dream. It was very peaceful at first but then it felt like I was sinking into darkness. Everything turn black around me and the world I live in kept getting smaller and smaller. It was like I was sinking into to a world unknown. Memories hit me of my family and friends.
Then my vision came back. It was slow at first, almost like what an old tv looks like when in turns on. Dim, very fussy, then everything got bright and more defined. That was when I noticed my whole body had been numbed. I could not move a muscle.
After about 20 minutes everything had come back to normal, except for my pounding headache. I was in the hospital. It was very bright. I heard gadgets & equipment in symphony of sounds- buzzing, clicking, air whistling, I lay on the bed, tubes coming out of my mouth and nose. “Where are my parents?” I screeched in my croaky voice. Nobody answered. So I asked again. They eventually told be that I had been paralyzed by the wave and my parents had not survived. I could never surf again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment