Wednesday 10 August 2016

Commas, Colons and Semicolons Lesson


One of my learning goals is to know what a semicolon is and try to use them in my writing more. I have set this goal from my writing matrix. I know that to be a better writer I need to have more complex punctuation and use semicolons. I have been learning about them, to show evidence of my learning I have chosen to do a blog post about it.


Semi-colons can be used to join clauses in a sentence. Sometimes they take the place of connectives.

John liked jelly and Sam just loved ice cream.

This sentence could be written:
John liked jelly; Sam just loved ice cream.


  1. My sister Amy, my friend Kyle and I went to the park.
  2. I brought a lot of stuff: food drinks and blankets.
  3. My aunt Sally; who is my favorite aunt, talked to my mom.
  4. Most fruits are low in fat; they are also high in vitamins.
  5. When we left the park;  the one at the end of the block, we went home.
  6. The attractions of the park included: roller coasters, shops, shows and the movie characters.






No comments:

Post a Comment